Thursday, October 17, 2013

Oh, Connections!

All I can say is that "one never knows who they might meet while on library business".

Yesterday I ended up on one of my favorite assignments: going around town asking businesses if they would put up posters for upcoming library-sponsored events.

I enjoy this for a number of reasons (in no particular order):
  1. Being out getting fresh air is always nice.
  2. Part of the task involves driving around blasting music in my car.
  3. People are generally very friendly.
  4. I am always get to bring fliers to either a local bakery or coffee shop, so I get to pick up treats to have with me on the road.
  5. One of the stops is an antique shop; sometimes they have skeleton keys to buy while I'm in!
  6. You sometimes see interesting stuff.
  7. You sometimes meet interesting people.

This time while I was on my little mission, not only did I unexpectedly run into a good friend of mine from my high school days, but I also ended up meeting someone with an interesting claim to fame.

I met Kelly Clarkson's lead guitarist's grandma.

Yep, by far, one of the most interesting and random connections ever. When the lady working in the antique shop saw that this month's poster was advertising a free Peter Fletcher classical guitar concert (which for any of you locals who might see this, is Friday Oct. 25 at 7pm in the main Ctown library), she became suddenly reminded of her grandson.

"Hey, you know that one singer, Kelly Clarkson?" she asks.
"Oh, yeah! Of course." I reply.


"My grandson is her lead guitarist."


That made me pause. Coming from anyone at my other job (which is housekeeping in a nursing home), I would probably assume the person is delusional. Not so, this time around. Seconds later, I got to hear all about her adventures in attending one of Kelly's shows with her granddaughters from their free front row seats, complete with back stage passes because they were "with the band".

I heard about how at one point during a show, he changed the guitar melody on the spot. Afterwords, he was told "Go in to the office; Kelly wants to talk to you." At this point, the man thought he'd had it. He walks in, feeling insanely nervous, and is then told "I LOVED what you did! Here is a $5,000 bonus", as she hands him a check, "Would you like to co-write some songs with me?"

So, now I have an indirect claim to fame, haha. Again I say it, "one  never knows who they might meet while on library business!"

No comments:

Post a Comment