Saturday, October 19, 2013

Book of the Week: American Eden

This book caught my eye for two reasons:

1. The pictures are lovely!
2. The part of the title that says "What our gardens tell us about who we are".


After reading the above subheading on the book, I couldn't help but chuckle to myself and cringe a little. If my garden is supposed to tell about who I am, it's telling the world that I am a slob. Whoever owned this house before my family did had a real thing for rosebushes: we've counted close to 30 of them on our property. While roses are great and all, I can tell you with full authority that one CAN have too many rose bushes! Needless to say, it's a tad difficult to keep up with those, the weeds, the grass, and all the areas of the yard that my family's two dogs tear up.

Oh well, we can always look into these pretty garden books and dream, right?


Author: Wade Graham
Title: American Eden: From Monticello to Central Park to Our Own Back Yards
Synopsis:
 Garden designer and historian Wade Graham offers a unique vision of the story of America in this riveting exploration of the nation’s gardens and the visionaries behind them, from Thomas Thomas Jefferson’s Monticello to Michelle Obama’s vegetable garden, Fredrick Law Olmsted’s expansive Central Park to Martha Stewart’s how-to landscaping guides. In the tradition of Mark Kurlansky, Simon Schama, and Michael Pollan, Graham delivers a sweeping social history that examines our nation’s history from an overlooked vantage point, illuminating anew the living drama of American self-creation.

No comments:

Post a Comment