Friday, November 29, 2013

Some Thanks and Giving.

Ahh, I love this time of year. Thanksgiving is a terrific holiday, both in theory and practice.

This year, it was certainly started off on the correct foot. My brother and I were invited to a friend's church for "Pie and Praise" night the evening prior to the holiday, in which we got to sing a lot of Christian hymns, everyone got to share things from the year that they are grateful for, and following that we enjoyed many different kinds of home baked pie!

It has been one of the few Thanksgiving days where being thankful for stuff has truly been at the forefront of my mind, and it was thanks to that Wednesday evening at the church. Most years the main thoughts I recall have been "Oh, that's a cool parade float!", "When is dinner going to be ready?", "Mm that smells GREAT!", "Will I beat everyone in Upwords this year?", "What's on sale tomorrow?". So, I must say, even though it seems like it should be kind of a given, I highly recommend tuning your mind to keep thinking of things that you're grateful for- and not just on Thanksgiving, but every day. I know that's a little cliche to say, but it's true. You'll find yourself in a better state of mind for it, I promise.


Another way to keep Thanksgiving relaxed, pleasant, and peaceful is to avoid Black Friday shopping until it is actually Black Friday. One of my friends said (and rightly so) that Thanksgiving is becoming "Gray Thursday". C'mon, are those deals seriously worth ruining a perfectly good holiday over? I think not. Just enjoy your day and let the events of the next day stay in that day. Or, if you want to make it a step better, when Black Friday hits, try going to your local thrift store instead. If they are like the ones where I live, the thrift stores run sales too, and the prices on clothes are guaranteed to blow the likes of JC Penny and Macy's out of the water if you are unopposed to previously owned outfits. Not to mention, the lines are practically nonexistent!

I know this advice is a tad late, being that it is nearing midnight on Black Friday of 2013, but hey, this way you know these ideas have been pre-tested. Just bookmark this post and read it again prior to Thanksgiving next year ;)

Anyhow, I hope your past few days have been at least somewhere as good as mine!



A Few Things I Am Thankful For
[in no particular order]:
  • The library always lets its staff have two and a half days off for Thanksgiving.
  • The nursing home where I work did not schedule me for Thanksgiving OR Black Friday- I didn't even ask. Just turned out that way. Yay!
  • I have an awesome little family that all gets along really well and enjoys each other's company.
  • Church. It's easy to take for granted, until you have a job that takes you away from it most Sundays.
  • Super amazing friends (and blog readers!).
  • The ability to read and write proficiently. Not everyone has it.
  • For all of God's blessings to me, and knowing that He is always in control over everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment