Friday, December 6, 2013

Techno-Takeover

It's crazy how much technology has advanced since I was a little kid. Being able to get on the computer and use the dial-up internet to play a game on the Barbie website used to be a pretty big deal when I was 8, and getting my first email account at age 11 was huge! Writing a few notes and playing little computer games was about the extent of my tech usage at the time.

Fast forward to nowadays: The majority of the kids I've met walk around texting or talking on their phones, and a lot of them also have their own laptops, ipods, and tablets. The young and old alike rely on technology for so much!  It's our calendars, our contact, our means of shopping, research, entertainment, business, and so much more.

Sometimes I think people hold technology in too high of a regard. Last week I saw an 8 year old girl in the library with her English tutor, bemoaning the fact that she had to sit there and learn how to read better.

"You know," I told her, "You couldn't do my job if you didn't know how to read."

"Sure I could!" she exclaimed.

"Well," I said, "You'd need to know how to read the names and labels to know where the books go."
"Nah, I wouldn't need to do that. I'd just put them wherever!"

"How would people find them?" I questioned.

"Oh, the computer would just tell them where I put the books at." she confidently replied.

I mentally slammed my face onto the bookshelf. She genuinely believed that the computers could somehow determine where the books were at, rather than the fact that you had to put the books away in a certain pattern so that it matched the data entered into the computer system. Perhaps someday in the future, if all the books were microchipped and had built in GPS cards, that could be possible. I guess each person would have to be handed a GPS unit as they walked through the door so that they could look at the screen and follow the arrow to where their book was. Now there's an interesting concept.

No comments:

Post a Comment