Friday, May 23, 2014

Frozen Fridays #1

I stumbled across a book of popsicles in the library and couldn't resist bringing it home with me. Ever since I got it, I've been on a so far fruitless mission to find myself a popsicle mold (June is only a week away- I can't believe most of our stores aren't selling those things yet!). Lucky for me, this book not only gives really great ice pop recipes but it also gave me the solution to my problem: get creative.

One of the ideas it gave me was to use whatever ordinary object I could get my hands on, then put tin foil over the top to hold the popsicle sticks in place until the liquid froze up. My weapons of choice? An ice tray and toothpicks.

Just gave it a shot yesterday, and I am extremely pleased with the results:





My recipe went as such:

1.) Put frozen mangos, milk, and sugar (to your taste) into blender. Ingredients together should total 1 cup. Then blend until smooth.

2.) Fill each ice cube spot half full.

3.) Put tin foil over ice tray.

4.) Poke toothpicks into tin foil in each ice spot.

5.) Freeze for 2 hours.

6.) Put frozen strawberries, water, and sugar into blender. Ingredients together should total 1 cup. Blend until smooth.

7.) Freeze again. This time for 3 to 4 hours.

8.) Wiggle popsicles out of ice tray and enjoy!


This recipe made me two ice trays full of mini popsicles.

This recipe was my own invention, but to get more inspiration and ideas, go check out the book Irresistable Ice Pops, shown below.

 
UPDATE - 5/25/14: I just found a popsicle mold a couple days ago. After expressing my intent of making new popsicles every week this summer, a number of my facebook friends said they wanted to know what all I end up making. So, to quench the curiosity, every Friday this summer will be "Frozen Fridays", on which I will post up my popsicle of the week! I hope you can enjoy them (almost) as much as I do :)

No comments:

Post a Comment